Week 41 (Mike) -
"The Presidents Quarters"
This is the Murfee - Benson house on the campus of Marion Military Institute. The Murfee - Benson House was constructed in 1912 with a Neo-Classical facade and was designed to blend with the Classical style of the early structures on campus. Located on Wilkerson Drive in Marion, Alabama, it currently serves as home to MMI President Col. James H. Benson and Mrs. Mary Benson.
The MMI campus is rich in history. During the Civil War, the Chapel and Lovelace Hall were used as Breckenridge Military Hospital, treating Confederate soldiers. These facilities still serve the college well. Confederate soldiers who died at the hospital were buried behind the campus. After the war, their remains were exhumed and re-interred at St. Wilfrid's Cemetery. In the early 1900's under school president H. O. Murfee’s leadership, the school achieved national recognition. William Howard Taft, President of the United States, served as President of the Board of Trustees. Woodrow Wilson was the featured speaker at the convocation held in the MMI Chapel on April 30, 1905. Following his appearance, the school colors were changed to orange and black, and the tiger was adopted as the mascot in tribute to Woodrow Wilson, who was President of Princeton University at the time. Marion Mililitary Institute prepares cadets for military and civilian careers and is considered one of the top Military Junior colleges in the nation. Currently MMI has 56 of its former students enrolled in the Military Academy at West Point. The campus also houses the Alabama Military Hall of Fame.
Tech info: Manual exposure mode, Auto white balance, f9.0, at 1/250th seconds. Multi Metering at ISO 200. Colors, contrast, and levels adjusted in Photoshop Light Room 2 and Photoshop Elements.